2021 Off the Beaten Path: Transylvania and Maramures in 11 Days - Private Tour
Fully vaccinated people can enter Romania without any restrictions!
Immerse yourself into the countryside of Transylvania and Maramures on a 11-night Private Guided Tour
Travel back in time and discover the secrets of the Romanian rural life. From the Saxon villages of Transylvania, clad in legends and myths, to the unfiltered countryside of Maramures packed with traditions, you will become one of the locals. You will get your hands dirty working the land, break bread with the village folks, and experience the simple and rewarding way of life. Get your culture fix visiting the castles of Transylvania and wandering the cobbled streets of the picturesque towns. An all-rounded experience that will enrich your spirit and mind.
Day 1: Morning pick-up from your hotel, ready to start your adventure into the land of Transylvania. First stop is Peles Castle in the mountain town of Sinaia, about two hours away. The summer residence of Carol I, the first king of Romania, Peles Castle is an architectural jewel. You will visit its opulent interior, vast gardens and take in the stunning landscape.
After lunch, travel deeper into the heart of Transylvania. Roughly two hours later, you will arrive in the village of Viscri which will be your home for the next two nights. Stroll around the village, visit the Fortified Church and tuck in your first traditional dinner. After a long day, settle in your accommodation, a 200-year-old Saxon cottage.
Overnight in Viscri Saxon Village
Day 2: Breakfast is served in the courtyard. First stop of the day is perhaps the best-known Romanian landmark - Bran Castle. Known as “Dracula’s Castle”, it is so much more than Bram Stocker’s creation. As such, today we will delve deeper into the history of the place and its importance as a border between the two historical regions of Transylvania and Wallachia. Don’t forget to take a moment and breathe in the sceneries as the Carpathian Mountains stand tall all around you.
Forty-five minutes away lies the postcard town of Brasov. On the walking tour you will take in the main sights, including the Black Church, main square, and the narrowest street in Europe: Rope Street. Walking on its cobbled streets with the mountain backdrop is guaranteed to sweep you off your feet.
Late afternoon return to Viscri. You will have time at your leisure to relax or perhaps rent a bike around the village. In the evening, your hosts have prepared yet another delicious dinner.
Overnight in Viscri Saxon Village
Day 3: After breakfast, it’s only a short ride to Sighisoara. A UNESCO World Heritage site, it’s one of the few still inhabited citadels. You will have time to wander around the narrow alleys and soak up the medieval air.
Next stop is the nearby village of Malancrav, just in time for lunch. Here, you will visit the Fortified Church, impressive through its well-preserved murals. Make sure to climb the tower for the spectacular views surrounding you.
Travel towards the final destination of the day, stopping at the Biertan Fortified Church en route. Once you arrive in Alma VII, you will have free time to roam around the dusty paths before you will be invited to serve dinner with the locals.
Overnight in Alma Vii Saxon Village
Day 4: We will be taking it slow today, so you can fully enjoy the Transylvanian countryside. You will be leaving it behind soon, after all. Travel to Axente Sever Saxon Village to visit its Fortified Church before settling into Rimetea village. Rimetea is a mainly Hungarian-inhabited village, the influence clearly visible in the architecture. The colourful Saxon houses are replaced by pristine dwellings painted white, with bright green windowpanes. As a final stroke, the red geraniums by the windows finish the charming painting. You will have plenty of time to wander, chat with the locals and relax. As usual, a traditional dinner awaits in the evening.
Overnight in Rimetea Village
Day 5: A road-heavy day today, you will travel from Transylvania all the way to Maramures. Watch as the landscape slowly transitions as you leave the Saxon villages behind. The countryside becomes rugged as the haystacks peppering the meadows come into view.
The first stop is the village of Surdesti where you will visit its wooden church, one of the tallest in the world.
Arrive at your wooden lodge accommodation in Breb. Here you will feel at home for the next four days as you will learn the simple way of life of the Maramures countryside.
Overnight in Breb Village
Day 6: Romanians are known to be inventive people. To prove just that, we will visit a local family who still uses the traditional “washing machine”. See how the villagers used the mill & whirlpool back in the day. You will also learn the ins and outs of the local brandy production. Horinca, as it is called, needs to have over 52% alcohol to be deemed worthy, so your job for the day is to be the judge of that!
Next stop is the Merry Cemetery. The out-of-the-box approach to death, marked by the colourful headstones and the comical epitaphs, make what would normally be a bleak place, a refreshing experience.
Following the bright Merry Cemetery is the Museum of the Victims of Communism in Sighetul Marmatiei. A harrowing, but must-do visit, it will reveal the horrors of the communist regime and shine a light on what was happening behind the curtains during those trying times.
Travel back to Breb, visiting the Desesti Wooden Church on the way. A hearty meal will be waiting for you here.
Overnight in Breb Village
Day 7: It’s an early start today, but well worth it. You will be going on a steam train ride. The Mocanita will take you deep into the forests of Maramures. Take the time to admire the scenery, the deep valleys, leafy-green forests surrounding the peaks and breathe in the mountain air.
On the way back, visit the Barsana Monastery. Back in Breb, it’s time at your leisure.
Overnight in Breb Village
Day 8: You will have a full day to immerse yourself in the rural life of Breb. Ramble around the village, visit the local carpenters and lend a helping hand to the working villagers. Visit the sheepfold and learn how the cheese is made. The locals will be welcoming you with wide open arms, share their stories and their horinca. Lastly, enjoy a meal prepared by the shepherds.
Overnight in Breb Village
Day 9: Sadly, you will bid goodbye to Breb today. Three hours later, you will arrive in the chic town of Cluj. An emerging city, it is one of Romania’s main university centres. Visit the main square and its vast parks and take in the atmosphere from one of the scores of bars in the old town.
Overnight in Cluj
Day 10: We’re slowly creeping our way back into Transylvania. First stop of the day is in Alba Iulia, a town with a double historical importance. Here, the Great Union between Transylvania, Wallachia and Moldova happened in 1918, and it is also the place where the second Romanian King, Ferdinand, and his wife, Queen Mary, were crowned.
One hour later, you will arrive in the Saxon town of Sibiu. Overflowing with charm and elegance, Sibiu is an exquisite showcase of architecture and quirkiness, still preserving a medieval aura. You will discover all that and more on a walking tour.
Overnight in Sibiu
Day 11: For those visiting between July and October, you will be travelling back to Bucharest via Transfagarasan, dubbed “the best road in the world” by Jeremy Clarke. The road snakes up to 2,000 meters altitude, offering some unforgettable views. At the top lies the glacier Balea Lake, resting between the tall crests.
If you’re visiting outside of those months, you will travel back via Olt Valley, following the river as it cuts through the mountains, offering some impressive views as well.
Stop at Curtea de Arges Monastery, the burial place of the Romanian Monarchs. You will be back in Bucharest by late afternoon, just in time for a good-bye walking tour of the capital city.
Overnight in Bucharest
|2 persons *||1975|
|4 persons *||1575|
|6+ persons *||1375|
* price per person
** for single accommodation: + 190 euro
- 11 nights accommodation / breakfast included (8 nights in traditional old houses in the villages from Maramures and Transylvania)
- Private car / minivan – air conditioning – all transport costs included
- Private guide in English and driver
- 8 traditional meals in the villages
- Admission for all sites in the itinerary
- Planning the itinerary
- 5 Unesco World Heritage sites
- All expences for guide / driver
- 1 photo fee at Peles Castle
- Transfer from / to the Airport in Bucharest
- Travel and Health insurances
- Other meals than mentioned
- on public holidays and Mondays, sights may be closed
- For booking this Private Tour you need to pay in advance a deposit, which will be agreed in advance between parties. For more info, feel free to contact us on: email@example.com
For inquiries you may use this form and we will answer immediately
Only one free day ? No problem ! We'll show you few splendors of Romania: Bran and Peles Famous Castles, Brasov, Sibiu or Sighisoara Medieval Cities or the Fascinating Wild Danube Delta
- 2021 Famous Castles of Romania in One Day - Private Guided Tour → From 120.00€
- 2021 Wildlife in Danube Delta - One Day Guided Tour from Bucharest → From 135.00€
- 2021 One Day in the Sky: Transfagarasan Highway - Private Guided Tour → From 80.00€
- 2021 One Day on the Beach! → From 75.00€
- 2021 Discover Bucharest - Private Guided Tour → From 75.00€
- 2021 Communism Bucharest Tour → From 70.00€
- 2021 Charming Sibiu - Private Guided Tour → From 90.00€
- 2021 Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Guided Tour → From 75.00€
With 2 free days, you'll have the chance to enjoy more of the Medieval Transylvania, amazing Transfagarasan Road or the Wildlife from Danube Delta, the only natural place from Romania in Unesco World Hertage
- 2021 Wildlife Adventure in Danube Delta - Guided Tour in 2 Days from Bucharest → From 250.00€
- 2021 Famous Castles of Romania - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 275.00€
- 2021 Top Gear Favorite Road: Transfagarasan - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 215.00€
- 2021 Charming Sibiu - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 295.00€
- 2021 Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 275.00€
Excelent opportunity to discover better Transylvania, Danube Delta, Black Sea or even Bucovina of the Painted Monasteries. 3 or 4 days will give you enough time to enjoy beautiful places of Romania
- 2021 Discover Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 4 days (Brasov - Sighisoara - Sibiu) → From 550.00€
- 2021 Birding in Danube Delta - Guided Tour in 3 Days → From 425.00€
- 2021 Three Days in the Sky - Amazing Roads of Romania: Transalpina and Transfagarasan - Private Guided Tour - 3 days → From 325.00€
- 2021 Summer City-Break: Danube Delta and Black Sea! → From 325.00€
- 2021 Bucovina Monasteries, Via Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 4 days → From 450.00€
- 2021 City-Break in Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 3 days → From 375.00€
- Enjoy Magic of Christmas in Transylvania 5 Days Private Guided Tour → From 595.00€
This is the best way to explore Romania ! We designed tours up to 2 weeks to cover all beautiful Romania. Medieval Transylvania, Traditional Maramures, Spiritual Bucovina or Wild Danube Delta are witing for you !
- Back in Time: Discover Rural Romania - 11 Days Shared Tour → From 1450.00€
- 2021 Explore Transylvania in One Week - Private Tour → From 875.00€
- 2021 Explore Wildlife from Danube Delta - Private Tour → From 750.00€
- 2021 Off the Beaten Path: Transylvania and Maramures in 11 Days - Private Tour → From 1375.00€
- Discover Transylvania and Wildlife of Danube Delta - 7 Days Private Guided Tour → From 1095.00€
- 2021 Great tour of Romania - Private Guided Tour - 14 days → From 1675.00€
- Discover Maramures - A Journey Back in Time → From 850.00€
- 2021 Bucovina and Transylvania Treasures - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 950.00€
- 2021 Best of Romania: Transylvania and Maramures - Private Guided Tour in 8 Days → From 975.00€
- 2021 A journey back in time: Countryside Life from Transylvania and Maramures → From 1375.00€
- 2021 Saxon Legacy in Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 950.00€
- Discover Your Roots - Jewish Heritage in Romania - Private Tour in 2 weeks → From 1075.00€
- 2021 Live like a King - Prince of Wales Favorite Places in Romania - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 1100.00€
- 2021 Enjoy Romania in One Week - Private Guided Tour - 7 days → From 950.00€
- 2021 Danube Delta Great Adventure - 9 Days Private Guided Tour → From 875.00€
- 2021 Amazing Roads of Romania: Transfagarasan and Transalpina in 5 days - Private Guided Tour → From 595.00€
- 2021 Wooden Churches from Maramures - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 925.00€
- 2021 Romania`s communist past - Private Guided Tour - 7 days → From 625.00€
- Enjoy Easter in Maramures - Probably the best experience you can have in Romania! Private Tour From April 15th, 2020 - April 23rd, 2020 → From 1100.00€