Discover Maramures - A Journey Back in Time
For those eager to go back to the roots, rediscover the joys of simple life and reconnect with themselves, a private tour to Maramures is just what the doctor ordered. The Maramures countryside is a land stuck in time, where the ancient traditions are alive and well. Here you will meet kind people who will welcome you as one of their own, and you will get a taste of what the daily life is in this remote part of the world. This is a journey for the soul.
Day 1: Picking you up from your hotel in Bucharest, we will travel to the airport. A short flight away, you will leave the bustling city behind and arrive in Maramures. Driving through the countryside, past vast meadows, haystacks, and the locals working the land, you will be eased into the rural life.
In the village of Breb, you will be staying in a traditional wooden cottage, decorated in a rustic style. In the evening, enjoy a delicious dinner served at one of the households in the village.
Overnight in Breb Village
Day 2: Romanians are known to be inventive people. To prove just that, we will visit a local family who still uses the traditional “washing machine”. See how the villagers used the mill & whirlpool back in the day. You will also learn the ins and outs of the local brandy production. Horinca, as it is called, needs to have over 52% alcohol to be deemed worthy, so your job for the day is to be the judge of that!
Next stop is the Merry Cemetery. The out-of-the-box approach to death, marked by the colourful headstones and the comical epitaphs, make what would normally be a bleak place, a refreshing experience.
Following the bright Merry Cemetery is the Museum of the Victims of Communism in Sighetul Marmatiei. A harrowing, but must-do visit, it will reveal the horrors of the communist regime and shine a light on what was happening behind the curtains during those trying times.
Travel back to Breb, visiting the Desesti Wooden Church on the way. A hearty meal will be waiting for you here.
Overnight in Breb Village
Day 3: It’s an early start today, but well worth it. You will be going on a steam train ride. The Mocanita will take you deep into the forests of Maramures. Take the time to admire the scenery, the deep valleys, leafy-green forests surrounding the peaks and breathe in the mountain air.
On the way back, visit the Barsana Monastery. Back in Breb, it’s time at your leisure.
Overnight in Breb Village
Day 4: You will have a full day to immerse yourself in the rural life of Breb. Ramble around the village, visit the local carpenters and lend a helping hand to the working villagers. Visit the sheepfold and learn how the cheese is made. The locals will be welcoming you with wide open arms, share their stories and their horinca. Lastly, enjoy a meal prepared by the shepherds.
Overnight in Breb Village
Day 5: Sadly, it is time to leave Maramures behind today as we board the plane back to Bucharest. Spend the night in the busy capital, a contrast to the quiet rural life. If there is time, wander around the streets of the Old Town on a walking tour of the city.
Overnight in Bucharest
|2 persons *||1350|
|4 persons *||950|
|6 persons * ...||850|
* price per person
** for single accommodation: + 100 euro
Note: if one of these accommodations is not available, we’ll provide another one at same standards
- 5 nights accommodation / breakfast included (4 nights in Breb Village at a traditional wooden cottage)
- Private car / minivan – air conditioning – all transport costs included
- Flight tickets for Bucharest – Maramures – Bucharest
- Private guide in English and driver
- 4 traditional meals
- Admission for all sites in the itinerary
- Planning the itinerary
- 2 Unesco World Heritage sites
- All expences for guide / driver
- Transfer from / to the Airport in Bucharest
- Travel and Health insurances
- Other meals than mentioned
- on public holidays and Mondays, sights may be closed
- For booking this Private Tour you need to pay in advance a deposit, which will be agreed in advance between parties. For more info, feel free to contact us on: email@example.com
For inquiries you may use this form and we will answer immediately
Only one free day ? No problem ! We'll show you few splendors of Romania: Bran and Peles Famous Castles, Brasov, Sibiu or Sighisoara Medieval Cities or the Fascinating Wild Danube Delta
- 2021 Famous Castles of Romania in One Day - Private Guided Tour → From 120.00€
- 2021 Wildlife in Danube Delta - One Day Guided Tour from Bucharest → From 135.00€
- 2021 One Day in the Sky: Transfagarasan Highway - Private Guided Tour → From 80.00€
- 2021 One Day on the Beach! → From 75.00€
- 2021 Discover Bucharest - Private Guided Tour → From 75.00€
- 2021 Communism Bucharest Tour → From 70.00€
- 2021 Charming Sibiu - Private Guided Tour → From 90.00€
- 2021 Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Guided Tour → From 75.00€
With 2 free days, you'll have the chance to enjoy more of the Medieval Transylvania, amazing Transfagarasan Road or the Wildlife from Danube Delta, the only natural place from Romania in Unesco World Hertage
- 2021 Wildlife Adventure in Danube Delta - Guided Tour in 2 Days from Bucharest → From 250.00€
- 2021 Famous Castles of Romania - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 275.00€
- 2021 Top Gear Favorite Road: Transfagarasan - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 215.00€
- 2021 Charming Sibiu - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 295.00€
- 2021 Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 275.00€
Excelent opportunity to discover better Transylvania, Danube Delta, Black Sea or even Bucovina of the Painted Monasteries. 3 or 4 days will give you enough time to enjoy beautiful places of Romania
- 2021 Discover Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 4 days (Brasov - Sighisoara - Sibiu) → From 550.00€
- 2021 Birding in Danube Delta - Guided Tour in 3 Days → From 425.00€
- 2021 Three Days in the Sky - Amazing Roads of Romania: Transalpina and Transfagarasan - Private Guided Tour - 3 days → From 325.00€
- 2021 Summer City-Break: Danube Delta and Black Sea! → From 325.00€
- 2021 Bucovina Monasteries, Via Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 4 days → From 450.00€
- 2021 City-Break in Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 3 days → From 375.00€
- Enjoy Magic of Christmas in Transylvania 5 Days Private Guided Tour → From 595.00€
This is the best way to explore Romania ! We designed tours up to 2 weeks to cover all beautiful Romania. Medieval Transylvania, Traditional Maramures, Spiritual Bucovina or Wild Danube Delta are witing for you !
- Back in Time: Discover Rural Romania - 11 Days Shared Tour → From 1450.00€
- 2021 Explore Transylvania in One Week - Private Tour → From 875.00€
- 2021 Explore Wildlife from Danube Delta - Private Tour → From 750.00€
- 2021 Off the Beaten Path: Transylvania and Maramures in 11 Days - Private Tour → From 1375.00€
- Discover Transylvania and Wildlife of Danube Delta - 7 Days Private Guided Tour → From 1095.00€
- 2021 Great tour of Romania - Private Guided Tour - 14 days → From 1675.00€
- Discover Maramures - A Journey Back in Time → From 850.00€
- 2021 Bucovina and Transylvania Treasures - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 950.00€
- 2021 Best of Romania: Transylvania and Maramures - Private Guided Tour in 8 Days → From 975.00€
- 2021 A journey back in time: Countryside Life from Transylvania and Maramures → From 1375.00€
- 2021 Saxon Legacy in Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 950.00€
- Discover Your Roots - Jewish Heritage in Romania - Private Tour in 2 weeks → From 1075.00€
- 2021 Live like a King - Prince of Wales Favorite Places in Romania - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 1100.00€
- 2021 Enjoy Romania in One Week - Private Guided Tour - 7 days → From 950.00€
- 2021 Danube Delta Great Adventure - 9 Days Private Guided Tour → From 875.00€
- 2021 Amazing Roads of Romania: Transfagarasan and Transalpina in 5 days - Private Guided Tour → From 595.00€
- 2021 Wooden Churches from Maramures - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 925.00€
- 2021 Romania`s communist past - Private Guided Tour - 7 days → From 625.00€
- Enjoy Easter in Maramures - Probably the best experience you can have in Romania! Private Tour From April 15th, 2020 - April 23rd, 2020 → From 1100.00€
Jamin Kennedy, Berlin, Germany" “Wonderful day trip to Brasov and Peles and Bran Castle”
Can't rate him highly enough [...]