Trying to make the future of Romania without rubbish!
`A Future Without Rubbish` is meant to be an educational process to assist locals to realise what great opportunities they have in a clean Transylvania
It was a pleasure to drive up to, and across, Transylvania with Luke Douglas Home, trustee of the multi-award winning Mihai Eminescu Trust charity (MET) www.mihaieminescutrust.ro , and also leader of Clear Public Space Ltd (CPSL) www.clearpublicspace.org .
Their plans are to help enable a sea-change, towards a cleaner Transylvania; for it to become a place without rubbish.
Their project "Un Viitor Fara Gunoi" means in English, "A Future Without Rubbish" - it is meant to be an educational process to assist locals to realise what great opportunities they have in a clean Transylvania. The locals’ biggest assets are the historical, and present, culture / environment of Transylvania; and these are damaged by the dire rubbish situation.
The background story is that his mother, Jessica Douglas-Home started the MET after first visiting Transylvanian Villages in the late 80's. She found out about former communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu's plans to destroy the Saxon Villages, and she started MET to save them ,and she became part of a Europe-wide movement to stop the ‘systematisation’ of Romanian villages, under Ceausescu. Alerting Britain’s Prince Charles in this instance in 1986 she might have started his love affair with Transylvania!
Anyhow, MET did a great job in the villages and many of them are now saved and regenerated with the great help of MET- the MET restores buildings, it trains villagers in building, craftsmanship and cooking, and it funds new, independent businesses.. The finest example, because they have worked there longest – for well over 20 years – is Viscri, the small Saxon village in Transylvania. It is a good example of their success: it thrives - it has twenty times more bathrooms in the village than it did twenty years ago. They hope the same future awaits the 12 or so villages they work in – Alma Vii taking centre stage at present. That is where they are throwing most time, money and energy in 2015 and 2016.
In February 2016, Luke Douglas Home and I toured Transylvanian villages to analyse the rubbish situation there, so he could establish a model that villages might adopt in 2016.
He discovered and thought of a workable way forward and will be presenting this to the Romanian National Tourist Authority.
After he returned to London, I asked him:
- “What do you think will make a better future for Transylvanian Villages?”
- “The future is so bright for these villages. And this is not for any ONE particular reason: the environment or the historical buildings, or even their amazing history and people….. or even the food – which is becoming really good now that people are discovering that what they have and grow is valuable and delicious: rather than what they buy from shops and supermarkets, is what we all love – so, not for any one reason, but because of the combination of all. And now that the political situation is really improving the higher ground of success will be achieved ….. for the long term: adherence to the rule of law etc.”
Luke had meetings with friends, local authorities and Mayors in Brasov, Biertan, Valea Viilor Sibiu and Cisnadie. He discussed with teachers from the local schools and met the kids from Viscri ,Vallea Viilor, Cisnadie. All this was in order to have a clearer, more local image about what MET/CPSL can start for the future generations in (and visiting) Transylvania. "Un Viitor Fara Gunoi". “A future without rubbish!”
We will watch with interest their next moves! It was a ‘rubbish’ tour, but great! :)
In a time of great fear and panic because of Coronavirus Covid 19, travelling and making new plans may seem inappropriate. But it is a great time to start planning next trips. And we, at Touring Romania - Private Guided Tours, are proposing a great wildlife destination in Romania: Danube Delta! [...]
Danube Delta is the only Unesco natural site from Romania. It is the final point of the mighty Danube River. After starting in the Black Forest Mountains from Germany and crossing many countries, Danube River flows into the Black Sea in Romania. [...]
Transylvania is the most well known area of Romania and attracts lots of tourists from all over the world. [...]
Only one free day ? No problem ! We'll show you few splendors of Romania: Bran and Peles Famous Castles, Brasov, Sibiu or Sighisoara Medieval Cities or the Fascinating Wild Danube Delta
- Famous Castles of Romania in One Day - Private Guided Tour → From 120.00€
- Wildlife in Danube Delta - One Day Guided Tour from Bucharest → From 135.00€
- One Day in the Sky: Transfagarasan Highway - Private Guided Tour → From 80.00€
- One Day on the Beach! → From 75.00€
- Discover Bucharest - Private Guided Tour → From 65.00€
- Communism Bucharest Tour → From 40.00€
- Charming Sibiu - Private Guided Tour → From 75.00€
- Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Guided Tour → From 75.00€
With 2 free days, you'll have the chance to enjoy more of the Medieval Transylvania, amazing Transfagarasan Road or the Wildlife from Danube Delta, the only natural place from Romania in Unesco World Hertage
- Wildlife Adventure in Danube Delta - Guided Tour in 2 Days from Bucharest → From 360.00€
- Famous Castles of Romania - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 275.00€
- Top Gear Favorite Road: Transfagarasan - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 215.00€
- Charming Sibiu - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 295.00€
- Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 275.00€
Excelent opportunity to discover better Transylvania, Danube Delta, Black Sea or even Bucovina of the Painted Monasteries. 3 or 4 days will give you enough time to enjoy beautiful places of Romania
- Discover Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 4 days (Brasov - Sighisoara - Sibiu) → From 550.00€
- Birding in Danube Delta - Guided Tour in 3 Days → From 425.00€
- Three Days in the Sky - Amazing Roads of Romania: Transalpina and Transfagarasan - Private Guided Tour - 3 days → From 325.00€
- Summer City-Break: Danube Delta and Black Sea! → From 295.00€
- Bucovina Monasteries, Via Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 4 days → From 550.00€
- City-Break in Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 3 days → From 395.00€
- Enjoy 3 Christmas Markets from Transylvania: Sibiu, Sighisoara and Brasov - Private Guided Tour → From 495.00€
This is the best way to explore Romania ! We designed tours up to 2 weeks to cover all beautiful Romania. Medieval Transylvania, Traditional Maramures, Spiritual Bucovina or Wild Danube Delta are witing for you !
- 2020 Best of Romania: Transylvania and Maramures - Private Guided Tour in 8 Days → From 975.00€
- A journey back in time: Countryside Life from Transylvania and Maramures → From 1650.00€
- Saxon Legacy in Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 1050.00€
- Great tour of Romania - Private Guided Tour - 14 days → From 1675.00€
- Amazing Roads of Romania: Transfagarasan and Transalpina in 5 days - Private Guided Tour → From 450.00€
- Unesco World Heritage from Romania - Private Guided Tour - 11 Days → From 1150.00€
- Wooden Churches from Maramures - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 850.00€
- Bucovina and Transylvania Treasure - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 1050.00€
- Live like a King - Prince of Wales Favorite Places in Romania - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 1300.00€
- Enjoy Romania in One Week - Private Guided Tour - 7 days → From 1100.00€
- Romania`s communist past - Private Guided Tour - 7 days → From 625.00€
- Danube Delta Great Adventure - 9 Days Private Guided Tour → From 875.00€
- Enjoy Easter in Maramures - Probably the best experience you can have in Romania! Private Tour From April 15th, 2020 - April 23rd, 2020 → From 1100.00€
Simone - London, UK" “Fantastic guide, knowledgeable, personable and proffesional”
As he has spent time as a journalist too his knowledge in other areas is extensive making interesting conversation. [...]