Trying to make the future of Romania without rubbish!
`A Future Without Rubbish` is meant to be an educational process to assist locals to realise what great opportunities they have in a clean Transylvania
It was a pleasure to drive up to, and across, Transylvania with Luke Douglas Home, trustee of the multi-award winning Mihai Eminescu Trust charity (MET) www.mihaieminescutrust.ro , and also leader of Clear Public Space Ltd (CPSL) www.clearpublicspace.org .
Their plans are to help enable a sea-change, towards a cleaner Transylvania; for it to become a place without rubbish.
Their project "Un Viitor Fara Gunoi" means in English, "A Future Without Rubbish" - it is meant to be an educational process to assist locals to realise what great opportunities they have in a clean Transylvania. The locals’ biggest assets are the historical, and present, culture / environment of Transylvania; and these are damaged by the dire rubbish situation.
The background story is that his mother, Jessica Douglas-Home started the MET after first visiting Transylvanian Villages in the late 80's. She found out about former communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu's plans to destroy the Saxon Villages, and she started MET to save them ,and she became part of a Europe-wide movement to stop the ‘systematisation’ of Romanian villages, under Ceausescu. Alerting Britain’s Prince Charles in this instance in 1986 she might have started his love affair with Transylvania!
Anyhow, MET did a great job in the villages and many of them are now saved and regenerated with the great help of MET- the MET restores buildings, it trains villagers in building, craftsmanship and cooking, and it funds new, independent businesses.. The finest example, because they have worked there longest – for well over 20 years – is Viscri, the small Saxon village in Transylvania. It is a good example of their success: it thrives - it has twenty times more bathrooms in the village than it did twenty years ago. They hope the same future awaits the 12 or so villages they work in – Alma Vii taking centre stage at present. That is where they are throwing most time, money and energy in 2015 and 2016.
In February 2016, Luke Douglas Home and I toured Transylvanian villages to analyse the rubbish situation there, so he could establish a model that villages might adopt in 2016.
He discovered and thought of a workable way forward and will be presenting this to the Romanian National Tourist Authority.
After he returned to London, I asked him:
- “What do you think will make a better future for Transylvanian Villages?”
- “The future is so bright for these villages. And this is not for any ONE particular reason: the environment or the historical buildings, or even their amazing history and people….. or even the food – which is becoming really good now that people are discovering that what they have and grow is valuable and delicious: rather than what they buy from shops and supermarkets, is what we all love – so, not for any one reason, but because of the combination of all. And now that the political situation is really improving the higher ground of success will be achieved ….. for the long term: adherence to the rule of law etc.”
Luke had meetings with friends, local authorities and Mayors in Brasov, Biertan, Valea Viilor Sibiu and Cisnadie. He discussed with teachers from the local schools and met the kids from Viscri ,Vallea Viilor, Cisnadie. All this was in order to have a clearer, more local image about what MET/CPSL can start for the future generations in (and visiting) Transylvania. "Un Viitor Fara Gunoi". “A future without rubbish!”
We will watch with interest their next moves! It was a ‘rubbish’ tour, but great! :)
How the idea came, how I started, why I quit my television job etc [...]
It is not a secret anymore that Prince of Wales is in love with Romania and especially with rural Transylvania. His Majesty visit Romania almost every year and spends few days in the saxon Villages from Transylvania. [...]
Without a doubt, 2020 was a horrible year for passionate travellers because of the Coronavirus pandemic. Our lives were affected by this and especially tourism was very affected. But, the whole world is waiting for a vaccine against this virus. This means that 2021 has good chances to offer us the possibility of travelling again! [...]
Only one free day ? No problem ! We'll show you few splendors of Romania: Bran and Peles Famous Castles, Brasov, Sibiu or Sighisoara Medieval Cities or the Fascinating Wild Danube Delta
- 2021 Famous Castles of Romania in One Day - Private Guided Tour → From 120.00€
- 2021 Wildlife in Danube Delta - One Day Guided Tour from Bucharest → From 135.00€
- 2021 One Day in the Sky: Transfagarasan Highway - Private Guided Tour → From 80.00€
- 2021 One Day on the Beach! → From 75.00€
- 2021 Discover Bucharest - Private Guided Tour → From 75.00€
- 2021 Communism Bucharest Tour → From 70.00€
- 2021 Charming Sibiu - Private Guided Tour → From 90.00€
- 2021 Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Guided Tour → From 75.00€
With 2 free days, you'll have the chance to enjoy more of the Medieval Transylvania, amazing Transfagarasan Road or the Wildlife from Danube Delta, the only natural place from Romania in Unesco World Hertage
- 2021 Wildlife Adventure in Danube Delta - Guided Tour in 2 Days from Bucharest → From 250.00€
- 2021 Famous Castles of Romania - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 275.00€
- 2021 Top Gear Favorite Road: Transfagarasan - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 215.00€
- 2021 Charming Sibiu - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 295.00€
- 2021 Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 275.00€
Excelent opportunity to discover better Transylvania, Danube Delta, Black Sea or even Bucovina of the Painted Monasteries. 3 or 4 days will give you enough time to enjoy beautiful places of Romania
- 2021 Discover Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 4 days (Brasov - Sighisoara - Sibiu) → From 550.00€
- 2021 Birding in Danube Delta - Guided Tour in 3 Days → From 425.00€
- 2021 Three Days in the Sky - Amazing Roads of Romania: Transalpina and Transfagarasan - Private Guided Tour - 3 days → From 325.00€
- 2021 Summer City-Break: Danube Delta and Black Sea! → From 325.00€
- 2021 Bucovina Monasteries, Via Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 4 days → From 450.00€
- 2021 City-Break in Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 3 days → From 375.00€
- Enjoy Magic of Christmas in Transylvania 5 Days Private Guided Tour → From 595.00€
This is the best way to explore Romania ! We designed tours up to 2 weeks to cover all beautiful Romania. Medieval Transylvania, Traditional Maramures, Spiritual Bucovina or Wild Danube Delta are witing for you !
- Back in Time: Discover Rural Romania - 11 Days Shared Tour → From 1450.00€
- 2021 Explore Transylvania in One Week - Private Tour → From 875.00€
- 2021 Explore Wildlife from Danube Delta - Private Tour → From 750.00€
- 2021 Off the Beaten Path: Transylvania and Maramures in 11 Days - Private Tour → From 1375.00€
- Discover Transylvania and Wildlife of Danube Delta - 7 Days Private Guided Tour → From 1095.00€
- 2021 Great tour of Romania - Private Guided Tour - 14 days → From 1675.00€
- Discover Maramures - A Journey Back in Time → From 850.00€
- 2021 Bucovina and Transylvania Treasures - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 950.00€
- 2021 Best of Romania: Transylvania and Maramures - Private Guided Tour in 8 Days → From 975.00€
- 2021 A journey back in time: Countryside Life from Transylvania and Maramures → From 1375.00€
- 2021 Saxon Legacy in Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 950.00€
- Discover Your Roots - Jewish Heritage in Romania - Private Tour in 2 weeks → From 1075.00€
- 2021 Live like a King - Prince of Wales Favorite Places in Romania - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 1100.00€
- 2021 Enjoy Romania in One Week - Private Guided Tour - 7 days → From 950.00€
- 2021 Danube Delta Great Adventure - 9 Days Private Guided Tour → From 875.00€
- 2021 Amazing Roads of Romania: Transfagarasan and Transalpina in 5 days - Private Guided Tour → From 595.00€
- 2021 Wooden Churches from Maramures - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 925.00€
- 2021 Romania`s communist past - Private Guided Tour - 7 days → From 625.00€
- Enjoy Easter in Maramures - Probably the best experience you can have in Romania! Private Tour From April 15th, 2020 - April 23rd, 2020 → From 1100.00€
John Creighton - Seatle, United States" "Custom Tours by Knowledgeable, Engaging Local Guide”
I found George and his company, Touring Romania, online and was able to book a full day tour by car that covered a huge amount of ground. [...]