Whoever said time travel hasn’t been invented yet has clearly never been to Maramures. The northernmost region of Romania tells the story of how the purity and authenticity of the Romanian rural life have withstood the passage of time preserving its simple yet fulfilling way of life.
As soon as you step into this fairytale-like land, you will be stricken by the unfiltered natural beauty all around. In perfect contrast to the simple life, the landscapes boast with richness: never-ending green pastures that bloom with colourful flowers in spring only to be peppered by haystacks by the end of summer, hills, and valleys, all with a forested backdrop and the clean, mountain air.
During your private tour in Maramures you will go way beyond what nature has to offer and immerse yourself into the rural life. You will find your home in the cosy wooden cottages reminiscent of the dwellings of the days gone past. Here, in the village, time stands still. Wander around and glimpse into the everyday life of the villagers for whom the troubles of modern life do not exist. Instead, the traditions are alive and blooming. Watch as horse and carts ride past you, the peasants in their traditional clothing gather in front of their homes at dusk, and the farmers go back home after a long day on the fields.
From hay stacking and shepherding to working the land, cow milking, and cooking traditional dishes, you will be able to lend a helping hand. In return, you will not only get the fulfilment of a job well done, but the villagers will show you their gratefulness the way they know best. You will witness their renowned hospitality first-hand as for a few days you will become part of their family. Listen to their flavourful stories and anecdotes, be treated to hearty, delicious meals, and toast for good luck and a newfound friendship with a shot of horinca. Noroc!
And just for a pinch of tradition, Sunday mornings are a treat in themselves. With religion representing a staple of the Romanian rural life, don’t miss out on attending church alongside the villagers dressed in their best clothes. Witness the customs of the service while the villagers stop their daily activities and pray. Their faith has also offered Maramures its iconic UNESCO heritage wooden churches, which are a delight to visit. The Merry Cemetery is not to be missed either. Easily recognizable by its colourful headstones and humorous approach to death, it’s a highlight of any Maramures tour.
Lastly, to top it all off, your private trip to Maramures would not be complete without a ride on the Mocanita, the historical steam train of the region. Hop on aboard as it snakes through the valleys and forests, stopping in a meadow for a picnic lunch.
Join us on this journey back in time. Check out all our Maramures private tours here.
See you soon!
Without a doubt, 2020 was a horrible year for passionate travellers because of the Coronavirus pandemic. Our lives were affected by this and especially tourism was very affected. But, the whole world is waiting for a vaccine against this virus. This means that 2021 has good chances to offer us the possibility of travelling again! [...]
The remote villages from Maramures, northwest of Romania, convinced the journalists from Daily Mail to write an article about the beauty of this area. [...]
In 1864, Jules Verne wrote the famous `Journey to the center of the Earth`. In 2018, we not gonna take you so deep inside the Earth, but we`ll take you in a journey you`ll never forget. [...]
Only one free day ? No problem ! We'll show you few splendors of Romania: Bran and Peles Famous Castles, Brasov, Sibiu or Sighisoara Medieval Cities or the Fascinating Wild Danube Delta
- 2021 Famous Castles of Romania in One Day - Private Guided Tour → From 120.00€
- 2021 Wildlife in Danube Delta - One Day Guided Tour from Bucharest → From 135.00€
- 2021 One Day in the Sky: Transfagarasan Highway - Private Guided Tour → From 80.00€
- 2021 One Day on the Beach! → From 75.00€
- 2021 Discover Bucharest - Private Guided Tour → From 75.00€
- 2021 Communism Bucharest Tour → From 70.00€
- 2021 Charming Sibiu - Private Guided Tour → From 90.00€
- 2021 Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Guided Tour → From 75.00€
With 2 free days, you'll have the chance to enjoy more of the Medieval Transylvania, amazing Transfagarasan Road or the Wildlife from Danube Delta, the only natural place from Romania in Unesco World Hertage
- 2021 Wildlife Adventure in Danube Delta - Guided Tour in 2 Days from Bucharest → From 250.00€
- 2021 Famous Castles of Romania - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 275.00€
- 2021 Top Gear Favorite Road: Transfagarasan - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 215.00€
- 2021 Charming Sibiu - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 295.00€
- 2021 Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 275.00€
Excelent opportunity to discover better Transylvania, Danube Delta, Black Sea or even Bucovina of the Painted Monasteries. 3 or 4 days will give you enough time to enjoy beautiful places of Romania
- 2021 Discover Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 4 days (Brasov - Sighisoara - Sibiu) → From 550.00€
- 2021 Birding in Danube Delta - Guided Tour in 3 Days → From 425.00€
- 2021 Three Days in the Sky - Amazing Roads of Romania: Transalpina and Transfagarasan - Private Guided Tour - 3 days → From 325.00€
- 2021 Summer City-Break: Danube Delta and Black Sea! → From 325.00€
- 2021 Bucovina Monasteries, Via Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 4 days → From 450.00€
- 2021 City-Break in Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 3 days → From 375.00€
- Enjoy Magic of Christmas in Transylvania 5 Days Private Guided Tour → From 595.00€
This is the best way to explore Romania ! We designed tours up to 2 weeks to cover all beautiful Romania. Medieval Transylvania, Traditional Maramures, Spiritual Bucovina or Wild Danube Delta are witing for you !
- Back in Time: Discover Rural Romania - 11 Days Shared Tour → From 1450.00€
- 2021 Explore Transylvania in One Week - Private Tour → From 875.00€
- 2021 Explore Wildlife from Danube Delta - Private Tour → From 750.00€
- 2021 Off the Beaten Path: Transylvania and Maramures in 11 Days - Private Tour → From 1375.00€
- Discover Transylvania and Wildlife of Danube Delta - 7 Days Private Guided Tour → From 1095.00€
- 2021 Great tour of Romania - Private Guided Tour - 14 days → From 1675.00€
- Discover Maramures - A Journey Back in Time → From 850.00€
- 2021 Bucovina and Transylvania Treasures - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 950.00€
- 2021 Best of Romania: Transylvania and Maramures - Private Guided Tour in 8 Days → From 975.00€
- 2021 A journey back in time: Countryside Life from Transylvania and Maramures → From 1375.00€
- 2021 Saxon Legacy in Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 950.00€
- Discover Your Roots - Jewish Heritage in Romania - Private Tour in 2 weeks → From 1075.00€
- 2021 Live like a King - Prince of Wales Favorite Places in Romania - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 1100.00€
- 2021 Enjoy Romania in One Week - Private Guided Tour - 7 days → From 950.00€
- 2021 Danube Delta Great Adventure - 9 Days Private Guided Tour → From 875.00€
- 2021 Amazing Roads of Romania: Transfagarasan and Transalpina in 5 days - Private Guided Tour → From 595.00€
- 2021 Wooden Churches from Maramures - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 925.00€
- 2021 Romania`s communist past - Private Guided Tour - 7 days → From 625.00€
- Enjoy Easter in Maramures - Probably the best experience you can have in Romania! Private Tour From April 15th, 2020 - April 23rd, 2020 → From 1100.00€