DANUBE DELTA - UNESCO NATURAL SITE
In spring, when everything revives, two hundred species of migratory birds come back here from Africa or from the Mediterranean, like in a holiday.
Wild Danube Delta is the only natural area from Romania included in Unesco World Heritage. It is the place where the Danube River ends it's journey through Europe and flows into the Black Sea. It is a true paradise for those who love nature, wildlife, birdwatching, remote villages and simplicity of life.
After more than 2800 kilometers crossing Europe from West to East, Danube River formed one of the most beautiful Deltas in the world. It is the newest land of Europe, continuosly expanding. It is the heaven for hundres of species of birds and animals.
Of the 375 bird species that live in Romania, 341 are found on the Danube Delta. Of these. 171 are nesting species. Other species are there during spring, summer and autum or winter migration. A number of 17 species are globaly thereatened. Some of the species from the Danube Delta are recognised as monuments of nature.
Without doubt, the stars of the Delta are the Pelicans and Cormorans. The Great White Pelican is the symbol of the Danube Delta. Notice that in the Danube Delta there are the largest Pelican colonies from Europe. The Pelicans are the biggest birds in the Delta. Their wings are over 3 meters and the body weight up to 15 kilograms.
The spectacle is amazing when the Pelicans hunts. They gather in a semicircle and chase small fish in shallow waters.The sound is fabulous. Pelican is a protected species in Europe. In the Danube Delta, their estimated number is between 3560-4160 breeding pairs.
Another famous bird from Danube Delta is the Great Egret, a splendid, impressive bird with white plumage, beak and longs legs, very graceful. This bird stay in the Danube Delta over the winter aso.
Other birds you will admire in the Danube Delta: Red-Breasted Goose, Pygmy Cormoran, Little Egret, Purple Heron, Squacco Heron, Little Bittern, Spoonbill, Glossy Ibis, White Stork, Ferruginous Duck, Greater Spotted Eagle, White-tailed Eagle, Red-footed Falcon, Black-winged Stilt, Crane or spectacular Kingfisher.
Population of the Danube Delta is arround 20.000. The main activity is fishing, but agriculture is also a way of earning food. Sheep and cattle breeding is another important ocupation for the locals.
In Danube Delta there is only one City - Sulina - and many small villages, some of them very remote, like Crisan, Mila 23, Letea, Periprava, Caraorman or Sfistofca.
Sulina is the most eastern city of Romania at the lowest altitude. First historical document mentioning Sulina is from the year 950. During 12th and 18th century, Sulina was recognised as a fisherman village and a refuge for pirats from the near seas. At the end of 19th century, Sulina was a very cosmopolite city, due to the Danube European Comission which had it's headquarters in Sulina. This is why in Sulina were built a Catholic Church, an Orthodox Cathedral and a Greek Church. Also a Mosque and a Synagogue were erected in Sulina.
Sulina had a very good life - on the beach it was a Casino where many parties gathered all the locals dancing, gambleing, listening music. At some point, the population of Sulina was 30.000. The official documets were written in french and english and 80% of the population were speaking greek language. Every person from Sulina had to know the other languages and at some point in Sulina were 20 different languages. Apart of romanians and greeks, in Sulina lived turks, armenians, russians, slovenians, bulgarians, french and english people, italians or germans.
Sulina developed over times: from a small fisherman village to an international port. Sulina had also bad times when, during the Second World War was bombed and many houses distroyed. Unfortunatelly, the communism put it's mark on Sulina too and in the City were built ugly small apartments blocks, soviet style. But, this didn't ruined Sulina's charm and now, Sulina is a very nice place to visit.
My Tours in Danube Delta - Movies by Touring Romania
Seeing Farage's election victory, Prince Charles took the first flight to Bucharest. [...]
It is not a secret anymore that Prince of Wales is in love with Romania and especially with rural Transylvania. His Majesty visit Romania almost every year and spends few days in the saxon Villages from Transylvania. [...]
The new construction is trully a giant one! 25 hectars (62 acres) full with 8 indoor or outdoors pools, saunas, jacuzzi and other fun activities. [...]
Only one free day ? No problem ! We'll show you few splendors of Romania: Bran and Peles Famous Castles, Brasov, Sibiu or Sighisoara Medieval Cities or the Fascinating Wild Danube Delta
- 2021 Famous Castles of Romania in One Day - Private Guided Tour → From 120.00€
- 2021 Wildlife in Danube Delta - One Day Guided Tour from Bucharest → From 135.00€
- 2021 One Day in the Sky: Transfagarasan Highway - Private Guided Tour → From 80.00€
- 2021 One Day on the Beach! → From 75.00€
- 2021 Discover Bucharest - Private Guided Tour → From 65.00€
- 2021 Communism Bucharest Tour → From 40.00€
- 2021 Charming Sibiu - Private Guided Tour → From 75.00€
- 2021 Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Guided Tour → From 75.00€
With 2 free days, you'll have the chance to enjoy more of the Medieval Transylvania, amazing Transfagarasan Road or the Wildlife from Danube Delta, the only natural place from Romania in Unesco World Hertage
- 2021 Wildlife Adventure in Danube Delta - Guided Tour in 2 Days from Bucharest → From 360.00€
- 2021 Famous Castles of Romania - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 275.00€
- 2021 Top Gear Favorite Road: Transfagarasan - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 215.00€
- 2021 Charming Sibiu - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 295.00€
- 2021 Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 2 days → From 275.00€
Excelent opportunity to discover better Transylvania, Danube Delta, Black Sea or even Bucovina of the Painted Monasteries. 3 or 4 days will give you enough time to enjoy beautiful places of Romania
- 2021 Discover Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 4 days (Brasov - Sighisoara - Sibiu) → From 550.00€
- 2021 Birding in Danube Delta - Guided Tour in 3 Days → From 425.00€
- 2021 Three Days in the Sky - Amazing Roads of Romania: Transalpina and Transfagarasan - Private Guided Tour - 3 days → From 325.00€
- 2021 Summer City-Break: Danube Delta and Black Sea! → From 295.00€
- 2021 Bucovina Monasteries, Via Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 4 days → From 550.00€
- 2021 City-Break in Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 3 days → From 395.00€
- Enjoy Magic of Christmas in Transylvania 5 Days Private Guided Tour → From 450.00€
This is the best way to explore Romania ! We designed tours up to 2 weeks to cover all beautiful Romania. Medieval Transylvania, Traditional Maramures, Spiritual Bucovina or Wild Danube Delta are witing for you !
- 2021 Explore Transylvania in One Week - Private Tour → From 875.00€
- 2021 Explore Wildlife from Danube Delta - Private Tour → From 825.00€
- 2021 Off the Beaten Path: Transylvania and Maramures in 12 Days - Private Tour → From 1275.00€
- 2021 Great tour of Romania - Private Guided Tour - 14 days → From 1675.00€
- 2021 Bucovina and Transylvania Treasures - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 1050.00€
- 2021 Best of Romania: Transylvania and Maramures - Private Guided Tour in 8 Days → From 975.00€
- 2021 A journey back in time: Countryside Life from Transylvania and Maramures → From 1650.00€
- 2021 Saxon Legacy in Transylvania - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 1050.00€
- 2021 Unesco World Heritage from Romania - Private Guided Tour - 11 Days → From 1150.00€
- 2021 Live like a King - Prince of Wales Favorite Places in Romania - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 1300.00€
- 2021 Enjoy Romania in One Week - Private Guided Tour - 7 days → From 1100.00€
- 2021 Danube Delta Great Adventure - 9 Days Private Guided Tour → From 875.00€
- 2021 Amazing Roads of Romania: Transfagarasan and Transalpina in 5 days - Private Guided Tour → From 450.00€
- 2021 Wooden Churches from Maramures - Private Guided Tour - 8 days → From 850.00€
- 2021 Romania`s communist past - Private Guided Tour - 7 days → From 625.00€
- Enjoy Easter in Maramures - Probably the best experience you can have in Romania! Private Tour From April 15th, 2020 - April 23rd, 2020 → From 1100.00€
Simone - London, UK" “Fantastic guide, knowledgeable, personable and proffesional”
As he has spent time as a journalist too his knowledge in other areas is extensive making interesting conversation. [...]