DANUBE DELTA - UNESCO NATURAL SITE
In spring, when everything revives, two hundred species of migratory birds come back here from Africa or from the Mediterranean, like in a holiday.
Wild Danube Delta is the only natural area from Romania included in Unesco World Heritage. It is the place where the Danube River ends it's journey through Europe and flows into the Black Sea. It is a true paradise for those who love nature, wildlife, birdwatching, remote villages and simplicity of life.
After more than 2800 kilometers crossing Europe from West to East, Danube River formed one of the most beautiful Deltas in the world. It is the newest land of Europe, continuosly expanding. It is the heaven for hundres of species of birds and animals.
Of the 375 bird species that live in Romania, 341 are found on the Danube Delta. Of these. 171 are nesting species. Other species are there during spring, summer and autum or winter migration. A number of 17 species are globaly thereatened. Some of the species from the Danube Delta are recognised as monuments of nature.
Without doubt, the stars of the Delta are the Pelicans and Cormorans. The Great White Pelican is the symbol of the Danube Delta. Notice that in the Danube Delta there are the largest Pelican colonies from Europe. The Pelicans are the biggest birds in the Delta. Their wings are over 3 meters and the body weight up to 15 kilograms.
The spectacle is amazing when the Pelicans hunts. They gather in a semicircle and chase small fish in shallow waters.The sound is fabulous. Pelican is a protected species in Europe. In the Danube Delta, their estimated number is between 3560-4160 breeding pairs.
Another famous bird from Danube Delta is the Great Egret, a splendid, impressive bird with white plumage, beak and longs legs, very graceful. This bird stay in the Danube Delta over the winter aso.
Other birds you will admire in the Danube Delta: Red-Breasted Goose, Pygmy Cormoran, Little Egret, Purple Heron, Squacco Heron, Little Bittern, Spoonbill, Glossy Ibis, White Stork, Ferruginous Duck, Greater Spotted Eagle, White-tailed Eagle, Red-footed Falcon, Black-winged Stilt, Crane or spectacular Kingfisher.
Population of the Danube Delta is arround 20.000. The main activity is fishing, but agriculture is also a way of earning food. Sheep and cattle breeding is another important ocupation for the locals.
In Danube Delta there is only one City - Sulina - and many small villages, some of them very remote, like Crisan, Mila 23, Letea, Periprava, Caraorman or Sfistofca.
Sulina is the most eastern city of Romania at the lowest altitude. First historical document mentioning Sulina is from the year 950. During 12th and 18th century, Sulina was recognised as a fisherman village and a refuge for pirats from the near seas. At the end of 19th century, Sulina was a very cosmopolite city, due to the Danube European Comission which had it's headquarters in Sulina. This is why in Sulina were built a Catholic Church, an Orthodox Cathedral and a Greek Church. Also a Mosque and a Synagogue were erected in Sulina.
Sulina had a very good life - on the beach it was a Casino where many parties gathered all the locals dancing, gambleing, listening music. At some point, the population of Sulina was 30.000. The official documets were written in french and english and 80% of the population were speaking greek language. Every person from Sulina had to know the other languages and at some point in Sulina were 20 different languages. Apart of romanians and greeks, in Sulina lived turks, armenians, russians, slovenians, bulgarians, french and english people, italians or germans.
Sulina developed over times: from a small fisherman village to an international port. Sulina had also bad times when, during the Second World War was bombed and many houses distroyed. Unfortunatelly, the communism put it's mark on Sulina too and in the City were built ugly small apartments blocks, soviet style. But, this didn't ruined Sulina's charm and now, Sulina is a very nice place to visit.
My Tours in Danube Delta - Movies by Touring Romania
Something that we all knew here in Romania - Lonely Planet declared Transylvania to be the Top Choice Travel Destination for 2016. [...]
`Serious` reasons why you should never visit this country [...]
Joe Biden and his wife Jill were in Bucharest for a 2 day official visit. [...]
Only one free day ? No problem ! We'll show you few splendors of Romania: Bran and Peles Famous Castles, Brasov, Sibiu or Sighisoara Medieval Cities or the Fascinating Wild Danube Delta
- Famous Castles of Romania in One Day – Private Tour → From 125.00€
- Danube Delta in One Day - Private Tour → From 135.00€
- One Day in the Sky: Transfagarasan Highway - Private Tour → From 80.00€
- One Day on the Beach! → From 75.00€
- Discover Bucharest - Private Tour → From 65.00€
- Communism Bucharest Tour → From 40.00€
- Charming Sibiu - Private Tour → From 75.00€
- Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Tour → From 75.00€
With 2 free days, you'll have the chance to enjoy more of the Medieval Transylvania, amazing Transfagarasan Road or the Wildlife from Danube Delta, the only natural place from Romania in Unesco World Hertage
- Danube Delta Adventure in 2 Days – Private Tour (all meals included) → From 275.00€
- Famous Castles of Romania - Private Tour - 2 days → From 195.00€
- Top Gear Favorite Road: Transfagarasan - Private Tour - 2 days → From 215.00€
- Charming Sibiu - Private Tour - 2 days → From 195.00€
- Sighisoara: Pearl of Transylvania - Private Tour - 2 days → From 215.00€
Excelent opportunity to discover better Transylvania, Danube Delta, Black Sea or even Bucovina of the Painted Monasteries. 3 or 4 days will give you enough time to enjoy beautiful places of Romania
- Discover Transylvania - Private Tour - 4 days (Brasov - Sighisoara - Sibiu) → From 395.00€
- City-Break in Danube Delta - Private Tour - 3 days → From 350.00€
- Three Days in the Sky - Amazing Roads of Romania: Transalpina and Transfagarasan - Private Tour - 3 days → From 325.00€
- Summer City-Break: Danube Delta and Black Sea! → From 295.00€
- Bucovina Monasteries, Via Transylvania - Private Tour - 4 days → From 450.00€
- City-Break in Transylvania - Private Tour - 3 days → From 295.00€
- Enjoy 3 Christmas Markets from Transylvania: Sibiu, Sighisoara and Brasov - Private Tour → From 400.00€
This is the best way to explore Romania ! We designed tours up to 2 weeks to cover all beautiful Romania. Medieval Transylvania, Traditional Maramures, Spiritual Bucovina or Wild Danube Delta are witing for you !
- One Week in Transylvania - Private Tour - 7 days → From 695.00€
- Supreme Adventure: Danube Delta - Private Tour → From 675.00€
- A journey back in time: Countryside Life from Transylvania and Maramures → From 1350.00€
- Saxon Legacy in Transylvania - Private Tour - 8 days → From 875.00€
- Great tour of Romania - Private tour - 14 days → From 1325.00€
- Amazing Roads of Romania: Transfagarasan and Transalpina in 5 days - Private Tour → From 450.00€
- Unesco World Heritage from Romania – Private Tour – 11 Days → From 1100.00€
- Wooden Churches from Maramures - Private Tour - 8 days → From 775.00€
- Bucovina and Transylvania Treasure - Private Tour - 8 days → From 825.00€
- Live like a King - Prince of Wales Favorite Places in Romania - Private Tour - 8 days → From 875.00€
- Enjoy Romania in One Week - Private Tour - 8 days → From 875.00€
- Romania`s communist past - Private Tour - 7 days → From 625.00€
- 2017 Magical Easter in Maramures - Private Tour 6 Days → From 850.00€
- Danube Delta Great Adventure - 9 Days Private Tour → From 875.00€